World Poetry Day

The following e-mail was originally posted on March 21, 2018

Today, March 21, is World Poetry Day.  There are a great many poets but the poet that has had the most impact on my life may not have been a poet at all.  There is a famous quote attributed to the Unitarian minister Edward Everett Hale.  It reads:

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

Somewhere in my teenage years, I came across this quote or something like it.  At the time, I did not know who said it, but in my idealistic youth it resonated with me so much that I created my own poem around it.  My poem reads:

I am only one
but I am one
I cannot do everything
but I can do something
What I can do 
I ought to do
and by the Grace of God
I will do

This poem has stayed with me all of my life and still resonates within me.  I wonder what poems resonate within you.   

Peace,

Everett "Skip" Jenkins

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Thought Manifests As The Word

Reflections on Harold Haizlip, The Sweeter the Juice, and the Need for Reconciliation

Valhalla Responses: Part One